Winter is coming!

I stepped out the other morning to a nice bite in the air. I broke out my jacket and my long-sleeve shirts. And for the first time this year, I turned on the heat in the house. I thought I’d ask a few winter-themed questions.

1. At what temperature do you keep your thermostat set?
  2. What are your winter weather tips?
  3. What products, related to winter, do you swear by?

As for me:

1. Thermostat stays at 66.
  2. Blankets and long sleeves. There are blankets all over the house where we sit frequently. If you’re cold, put one on. I also wear a toboggan most days while I’m in the house.
  3. MaryJane Home’s blankets. Unbelievably warm. Nice and substantial without making you feel like you’re being suffocated.

1.) 65 during the day, 64 at night
2.) let the sun shine in to warm up rooms during the day
4.) wool socks

Best invention ever: Electric heated mattress pad. Buy as a gift for your shmoopie, s/he will thank you all winter long. Around $130 on Amazon for King-size, separate controls for each side, combined with down comforter we seldom needed to heat the house overnight thereafter (although we live in California).

-CD

I live in Florida so winter for me means – turning off the a/c and opening the windows and doors!

that’s very frugal, are you in south Florida? I am in Ft. Lauderdale. For me - summer or winter its 65 always
my winter weather tips for where I live - go to the beach, bitch!

Before the kids it was 69 when home and 62 at night or away.

After baby 2 starts sleeping with sheets I may move slowly to the old system.

I live in North Florida, close to Georgia so we have a bit of a cold winter sometimes.

Since we also rent out our spare room on airbnb, we have to turn on the ac for their comfort :slight_smile: but if there’s nobody else then windows all the way

1. I live in a condo and don’t have to set it very high to keep it warm–around 69 leaves me with an electric bill of $60/month (the summer months are my expensive months, living in the south).
  2. Advice is to keep an ice-scraper in the car even if you live in the south. Scraping your windows with a credit card isn’t fun.
  3. They aren’t cheap but I highly recommend SmartWool PHD wool socks. I love them!

Sadly we run an Airbnb and the guests are rarely ever frugally cheap so we have it set to 78. The shameeeeee increases when you’re feeling toasty and warm in cap sleeves…

If you can swing it, buy a programmable thermostat like Nest. It’s a few hundred, but your utility company might credit you $100 back as part of a rebate program. It’s easy to install and learns your routine to automatically adjust. We have ours set all year to heat to 68 and cool to 75. Most of the time we stay in that range anyway so I doesn’t kick on.

It can detect when you’re not home and shut the system down completely. It also links to a smartphone app so you can monitor / adjust anywhere with internet. Payback in energy savings is a couple of years, but after that you’re golden.

I used to wear a bonnet inside my house during the winter because I regularly set the thermostat to 55 degrees to save heating costs. That was before my eldest was born and my wife was working nightshifts— I was the only one in the house. When my neighbor friend saw this, he made me a laughing stock at parties.

Then one day, when he and his wife went to Vegas for a couple of days, he asked me to check on their kids (the eldest was like 15) and to make sure to remind them to turn off the electric heaters. Lo and behold, they were using like 8-10 electric heaters in the house!! The youngest told me that their furnace hasn’t been working since summer! Now he’s the laughing stock at parties.

1. 70 (21 degrees centigrade).

Just because it is colder than a mother-in-law’s kiss outside does not mean I can’t wander around the house wearing a t-shirt and boxers.

1. Just about the strongest motivators for achieving Financial Independence is that it buys you the ability to adopt an endless summer lifestyle (this from a guy who grew up in Australia and for reasons beyond explaining now lives in cold/wet London… so I know of what I speak!) should you choose it
    … and should you choose not to adopt it, then you lose the right to complain about the weather!

Wet weather program = dry weather program + rain coat.

Also a wise old Swedish guy once told me there is no such thing as weather that is too cold, just winter coats that aren’t warm enough. Hard to argue with his logic, given where he lived.

1. Insulation. Double glazing. Draught stoppers.

1. We usually keep the temperature to a minimum indoors (66 - 68 F / 19 -20 C). We’re lucky to live in a ‘warm apartment’, there’s a store right downstairs + the walls are all thick, so we’re able to really save money on heat costs every winter.

2. I never had a problem wearing long sleeves indoors or putting on an extra blanket at night. Keeping the windows open during the day also helps, although not a lot. Sun might be shining over here, but the air is still cold most days.

3. I swear, plush shoes are my favorite thing about winter! :rofl:
    They’re so warm and soft! I start wearing them as soon as it starts getting cold, they’re so comfortable (and really cute too)! And the best thing is, my friends know how much I love them, so the few pairs I have, were actually gifts :smiley:

We keep our thermostat at 69-70 and then 61 overnight. Our thermostat is in the warmest area of the house so most areas are realistically a degree or two colder.

Baby99to1percent dictates the temperature around the house. She likes it at around 75F.

But this month has been crazy, we find ourselves switching between cooling the house during the day, and heating it at night :angry::blush:

1. 58 at night and when no motion is detected in my house, 66 in the morning for an hour and in the evening for about 2 hours. 74 in the baby’s room at night, 58 otherwise.

2. Clear your gutters to help prevent ice dams. Also, do not leave beverages in glass bottles outside overnight.

3. Sand - it dissolves concrete far less than salt and is significantly less harmful to dogs, wildlife, vegetation, and the environment in general.

We keep the house at 68 (20) while we’re home and then down to about 62 (17) overnight and when we’re away. When we switched our gas provider a couple of years ago we got a free Nest thermostat and that really helps.

Have a hot, cuddly puppy to keep you warm at night…does that count? I’m not a big fan of winter but I’m trying hard to embrace it and get out and do fun winter activities. It’s true that as long as you dress appropriately the cold won’t really bother you.

Winter tires, booties for the dog, hand warmers and lots of toques (bonus points for having to wash your hair less).

I honestly never touch our thermostat. Right now (I had to go check) it’s at 69. I’m not sure I have any recommendations, but I just wanted to ask if any of you have spouses who are constantly tinkering with the temperature? I would like to impose a rule that if you enter the house, you should not be allowed to touch the thermostat until you’ve been in the house for 15 minutes or longer. That is reasonable, right?

Mr.N2S will come in from a bike ride, run, mowing the lawn, or what have you and almost immediately bump up the AC (during hotter months) because - duh! He’s still hot from his activity. The rest of us lazy house dwellers are comfortable, thank you. Let your body acclimate to the indoors for just a moment before you touch that thing! It’s one of Mr.N2S’s flaws but I still do love him dearly.

We also have blankets in just about every room that you can use if you are feely chilly. Socks and jackets/sweatshirts work too!

We keep ours at 58 at night/day and 6 during the evening. On weekends if we are home all day we will bump it up to a balmy 63. (We of course just have two adults and two dogs at home and no kids/babies to worry about keeping warm.)

We are yet to turn the heat on this year!

1. We keep ours at 66 (averaged between upstairs and downstairs) in the morning and evening and then set the downstairs to 60 at night and during the day when no one is home
  2. Do the penguin waddle when walking on ice (its all about keeping your center of gravity over your foot). Also always keep an emergency kit in your car when driving in bad weather!
  3. I love my ecobee thermostat with extra sensor, that way I can set it to not let the downstairs get below 60 and let the upstairs be at whatever because I don’t have a multi-zone heating system, my house just tends to have a noticeable difference in upstairs/downstairs temp. Also love love smart wool socks.