Who do you write for?

@sunburntsaver and @MamaFishSaves I’m with you in EBA!

I write to my avatar. I want to clarify though that I’m not writing “for someone” whereby my tone, personality, or writing style changes for this avatar. It just means that this avatar gets me. She is in her 20s and has the same personality type that I do. So whenever I write, I try to write as if I’m shooting the shit with my girlfriend, at my kitchen table, with a bottle of wine between us.

Having an avatar to write to (knowing her pain points, her likes, dislikes, her situation, her job type, etc…) helps to figure out what to write about. For example, I’m not going to write about saving money on back to school essentials for kids because she doesn’t have kids. So instead of trying to appeal to everybody, I just try to appeal to those that fit my avatar. And it’s a good thing I do this because my sarcasm, jokes, and sometimes naughty language is not everybody’s cup of tea.

I found myself thinking in a very similar way when I put my site together. There aren’t that many podiatry specific blogs on the web and I think I will make one in the future. However, I am looking to have myself a good learning experience with finance and investing and put everything I learn in one place to reference later. It crossed my mind to make a personal finance site for podiatrists, but it felt very restrictive.

I am mainly writing for myself. If others find value in what I write then great. It will take a little while longer before my site gets personalized since I am filling it up with a lot of basic information to start. Soon I will get into the mistakes I have made and what I plan to do in the future.

That’s the approach the U.K. consumer protection regulators adopt also, they broke the market down into 10 segments (i.e. “avatars”) and analyse how each would be impacted by a given product or rule change.

Certainly makes for some interesting lenses to view the world through, can help focus on the needs/interests of a particular audience for PF blogging. If anyone is interested I’ve pasted the segments below:

• Retired with resources – usually homeowners, members of this group are financially savvy, with a high level of savings and little debt. They are usually risk averse when it comes to investment.
  • Retired on a budget – have a low income and are careful about spending any of their limited funds
  • Affluent and ambitious – usually in the 35-60 age group, highly educated and earning high incomes. They are confident about making financial decisions
  • Mature and savvy – have above average levels of income and savings, and have a good knowledge of financial matters
  • Living for now – earning a low income. Not confident with financial matters, but prepared to take more risks than the average person. They are also computer literate and make regular use of the internet
  • Striving and supporting – on a low income and struggling to meet regular outgoings. The majority of this group have dependent children. Generally risk averse
  • Starting out – highly educated, but with a below average income. Comfortable with technology. Almost all members of this group are under 45, single with no dependants, and rent their home
  • Hard pressed – earning a low income, struggling to pay bills, not confident financially and may have no savings at all
  • Stretched but resourceful – homeowners who are confident about financial matters but who are busy people and are pressed for time
  • Busy achievers – high earners who have mortgages, savings and their own pension arrangements

That’s really cool, thanks for sharing!

I just try to write in the same way I’ve given local friends and family advice they have asked for. My writing style is probably on the brash side, which is just how my mind works. No matter how hard I try to sugarcoat stuff, I still end up with a title like “Embrace the suck”. Enjoying the outlet though!

Love this question! I have thought long and hard about what audience my blog One Queen, One King is targeting.

My target audience are 20 to 30- something year old’s who have just started their new careers. My audience has all of a sudden been thrust into all of the responsibilities of “real adulthood”. Car loans, married life, mortgage and retirement planning. I know many have the same questions I did on how to navigate all of these subjects without making life altering decisions and finding themselves broke and they are very ready for the challenge. Much like me!

I write material relevant for both men and women of all creeds and races (finance transcends all realms!) but want to specifically target the African American community. As an African American, I know that black wealth is very achievable but there are very few tangible examples for working class men and women.

There are many articles I would like to write but I then have to edit myself and only publish those who appeal to my target audience. I think I am doing a good job so far (I just started my blog 3 months ago).

Take a look and let me know! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A good summary is here: https://onequeenoneking.com/welcome/

As many others have stated, I write for myself. What I wish was out there for me to read. That being said, i have not hit many milestones so I can recognize this is not the most profitable approach.