What is the life you want to lead when you are 60?

I’m going for Off Topic for this, but if there is a better category, then hopefully someone will move it.

What would you consider to be the dream you would like to be living when you are 60?

A lot of this forum is geared towards retiring early, FIRE etc, as soon as you can. So let’s say you hit FIRE at 45, how would you like your life to be panning out at 60.?

Consider these options

• you had kids, they are now full grown, they’re independent and possibly living far from you?
  • you never had kids, you retired some years ago
  • you had kids, they live near enough for you to be part of their growing up
  • you’ve tons of money - maybe not quite in the Gates / Buffet league, but far more than you can ever spend

Would you be travelling? would you be happy chilling in your cabin? Would you be setting up your sixth business because the RE part of FIRE wasn’t enough for you?

We don’t have children.

Hopefully we will be spending our winters in the southern states or the islands.

We like the spring, summer,and fall in Pa.

We like to travel and plan on taking a few trips per year. It will be nice to travel without thinking of having to return to a job.

My life will be focused on exercise, reading, following my teams, maybe a side gig. We will also do more volunteering.

I see it being similar to my current life, but without an alarm clock.

I honestly would like to spend a few years living on a boat to travel around the world. I already know I have a love for travel and, based on the few cruises I have been on, I love being on the water as well. Of course it would be different being on a much smaller boat, but this way of discovering the world seems interesting, exciting, and unique to me.

This type of lifestyle I think may be possible with children but would be easier without them I think. We currently don’t have children but have pets, which I wouldn’t want to take on such an adventure. I’d be too afraid they’d go overboard one day!

And I do not understand why all retired people are so drawn to Florida. A terrible climate. Hot, humid, high atmospheric pressure. What’s so good about it?

Not sure I agree with your “high atmospheric pressure” comment, but I’ve always wondered the same thing. My folks moved there about three years ago - moved right back out a year later. Humidity was terrible in the summer, but worse than that, my dad would get eaten alive by all the no-see-ums down there.

They are now out west and love it.

Um, pretty much the dream you’re living when you’re in your 40s, only without kids and a little slower and with more recovery time between events?

When you’re FI with kids you’re still on a parenting schedule-- either the school (or your homeschool) or your family time. Nights & weekends still tend to be family instead of downtown, although you can certainly enjoy whatever free time you get while they’re at school. But it’s probably best to be home in the kitchen (perhaps baking cookies) by 3 PM.

I was surprised at how the parenting load ramped up a little during high school. It was more mental & psychological than physical, and teens can get in a lot more trouble a lot more quickly. Teen independence (done right) means that they can make more mistakes which leads to more parenting teachable moments. And, of course, travel with a teen (especially in Hawaii) may be focused on college sports/STEM camps and campus visits. Either that or you stay near home one summer while they’re working on driver’s ed for their license.

Even in college we tended to plan our travel around the families weekend and the holiday breaks. Once she graduated, though, we started empty-nester slow travel. You roam randomly outside of the peak seasons, find the bargains, and can live like a local instead of the resort lifestyle. Since she’s in the Navy (“see the world”) we made a couple trips to her Spain homeport. We followed that up with visiting her in Charleston and Norfolk, and we hope to enjoy more of our former homeports with her future duty stations. If the Navy doesn’t send her to Asia or Australia then we’ll take care of those trips on our own-- not just 2-3 weeks but several months.

My 40s and early 50s felt about the same as my 20s and 30s. However around your mid-50s your body starts to lose its recovery & repair capacity so you become more injury-prone. This is especially frustrating after the second hour when you inadvertently exceed a new limit you didn’t know you had. It takes longer to recover and eventually degrades into a full rest day in between sessions. My full-contact taekwondo sparring with weekend clinics & tournaments slowed down to just the regular classes, and then only two nights a week without sparring, and then I stopped training for higher belt levels, and then I just did forms. A couple years ago (at age 55) I had to give away my uniforms & gear before I really hurt myself.

I’m no longer interested in surfing 20-foot waves (or at least not in paying the price for mistakes), and I can see that in 10-20 years I might feel the same way about anything over 10 feet.

Once you finish the first decade of FIRE, your investments are much less susceptible to sequence-of-returns risk and the 80% success rate really starts to take off. You’ve also optimized your life and your non-discretionary expenses are declining. Lifestyle expansion might kick in a bit… probably not Cessnas or yachts but perhaps nicer hotel rooms or first-class tickets.

I can understand starting the sixth business. Some occupations have no reason to stop working, like doctors, lawyers, journalists, or professors. You might not play a sport anymore but you could referee or coach. I’ll keep writing as long as I can string a couple sentences together. The big difference among all of them is that you become more mindful of your time and you’re no longer willing to put up with long/late hours or deadlines.

I’ll report back with more data in late 2020 when I reach my 60s…

Last year we did a cruise on a smaller ship (the Azamara Journey) with only ~650 passengers. You didn’t have to worry about crowds for popular activities and the ship got into the smaller ports, which is very nice, but it’s also a slightly livelier ride. Be ready to deal with motion sickness until you get used to the new environment. You will adapt, but it might take a few days.

If you’re talking about open-ocean sailing then it’s better to take a few overnight trips (or day-sailing in heavy weather) before you sign up for an ocean crossing. Again you’ll adapt, but that happens faster when you have the experience to know what to expect.

Well, there is the dream life and then there is the real life.
So how about a little bit of both. I have been frugal most of my life, and had fun being frugal, was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth but had the best parents in my world as in no violence, no drinking/smoking or cursing, no pressure. They just let us grow up in peace and be ourselves and just grow and be loved, 24/7.

So back to the question.
I want to feel peace when I retire. To continue to be able to help people in little ways that will make them feel loved and that they matter. I like to be stay healthy, in mind, soul, and body. I would like to have a pet or two. Possibly buy my own piece of land/cottage as I treasure solitude, nature and natural silence - we have way too much noise in our daily lives. I like to be in touch with the mystery in our universe and like to continue being so curious about so many things. I would like to reconnect to my creative side which had to be set aside due to a demanding career. There is so much need out there, and I would like to be able to contribute as in perspective, possibly wisdom, kindness to those out there that were not blessed with a solid base early in life. And I want to continue to believe in angles and want to make everybody feel that they can be part time angels too, humanity need angels, no matter what the big wig politicians do or not. As a people we can still be kind to each other, it is possible, and isn’t that what really matters?

hi @TheFIJourneyman Sounds like you have it already planned out. We are also into taking a few trips a year, and I agree - life without the alarm clock is great

thanks for taking the time to reply

@Financial_Muse I’ve got a couple of friends who have gone into cruising in a big way - two lots have their own sailing boat which they have taken across the Atlantic, and up as far as the Arctic circle. My cousins have however opted for the rather more luxurious option and take 90 day cruises, and have been around the world several times. I think I would like something in between, such as a boat trip down the coast of Chile, or a boat trip up the fjords of Norway in midsummer.
And no, I agree - I don’t think pets would work on small boats…

@Kuznec @Steve speaking as someone who lives in Scotland, I thought the attraction of Florida was its all year round pleasant climate! I’ll knock that one on the head then…

I think this is the key thing - I am resentful of anything that takes up too much of my time, even volunteering. I want to be able to make the most of my time, and not feel too tied.

@littlemouse[quote=“littlemouse, post:7, topic:3495”]
I would like to reconnect to my creative side which had to be set aside due to a demanding career.
[/quote]

For me this was critical. Once I stopped working, I realise I had a creative side that had been hidden for many years. I now make jewellery, make things in metal, write - all sorts of things that I would not have considered before.

We’d start “small” by sailing the US east coast. Then work our way down South America. Full on ocean crossing would come once we’d be more comfortable with the open sea and the boat itself.

[quote=“Nords, post:6, topic:3495”]
When you’re FI with kids you’re still on a parenting schedule-- either the school (or your homeschool) or your family time. Nights & weekends still tend to be family instead of downtown, although you can certainly enjoy whatever free time you get while they’re at school. But it’s probably best to be home in the kitchen (perhaps baking cookies) by 3 PM.[/quote]

This is one of the reasons why I have some reservations about the RE of FIRE. I envision that instead of a SAHM family, we’re going to be in a SAHM&D situation if I pull the trigger too early.

I expect I’ll be playing with grandkids and nieces/nephews in a setting that will resemble Brett Fravre in jeans throwing footballs through tire swings.

Except since I keep spraining my ankles, I might be in a wheelchair or running on metallic legs.

Also bits of travel here and there with the Mrs. are certainly on the docket, but not priority over fun with family and friends.

@The_Vigilante Sounds good to me!

I’d like to live somewhere where I can do most of my daily tasks by bicycle or on foot so that I can stay healthy. Where I live now has a lot going for it, like being quiet, beautiful and completely private when the trees have leaves, but you pretty much need to go everywhere by car. I also would like to feel like a part of a community, something we are really trying to build right now. Also, our oldest will be 33 so maybe a grandkid by then if we’d be so lucky. :wink:

@sara Where I live, we can walk to a lot of different areas, and our public transport is great, so we very rarely have to use our car. Like you, I think being part of a community would be great, and while we have some lovely neighbours, I wouldn’t say we were a community. So one to work on. Grandchildren are definitely on my wish list, but older son’s wife has stated a very clear preference not to have any, and my younger son and wife (aged 32 & 30) are keen to have them, but ‘not quite yet!’ I live in hope

@sara @The_Vigilante @TheFIJourneyman @Financial_Muse @Nords @littlemouse The post is up. Just about to start a twitter marathon https://www.crackingretirement.com/living-your-dream-at-60/

Thanks, Erith, it looks great!

I’ll share it on my feeds.