What Are Your Favorite Financial Movies?

Not a movie, but Frontline’s Retirement Gamble is excellent:

For those interested in The Big Short, Bestbuy.com has it for $10.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-big-short-includes-digital-copy-blu-ray-dvd-2-discs-eng-fre-spa-2015/4919100.p?loc=0&ref=8575135&acampID=04cbc98ad98811e6a3e742cb5061c4ab0INT

Lol @FeatureCreature Please tell me you just planted an affiliate link on a forum full of PF bloggers! That would be comedy gold.

Haha no just bestbuy.com. I don’t have any web presence for myself yet.

:joy:

First person to show the audacity surely deserves a special badge?!

Maybe I’m off track here, but I love The pursuit of happyness.

Then of course, there’s Mary Poppins (“If you invest tuppence, safely in the bank. Soon you’ll see…”)

And for a drizzly Sunday afternoon, a golden oldie The Million Pound note.

That was a great one

Oh man you gotta watch it. Good stuff.

Why I don’t see “The Gambler” here?

Who’s not in love with the John Goodman final scene of FU Money??

JLCollins did his own version of this, and it’s just awesome!

I forgot about The Pursuit of Happyness until you mentioned it. I agree with you. I like it a lot. Might have to watch it again soon.

Fight Club is 100% a financial movie - completely anti-consumerism/minimalism living:

Oh shit, oh shit oh shit!

Just watched a documentary from 2010 on the 2008 crash.

It’s on Netflix and it’s called Inside Job,

Loved how the film maker hammered these bankers, politicians and college professors with questions on how they “dunn fuked up”!

I just recently watched Inside Job as per this thread. Hugely eye opening.

Rob Reiner plays the father, and he is so funny. It’s worth watching The Wolf of Wall Street for that alone!

I just watched this, and yes, it’s excellent. Teresa Ghirladucci’s books are worth a read.

Let’s revive this topic as I find it more and more difficult to watch anything of value in the little entertainment time I have.

Trading Places was one of my childhood favorites, have seen it a dozen times at least alongside with Coming to America (not a definitive financial movie, but also has some money lessons). The Big Short is phenomenal and I liked the Margin Call, Boiler room and both Wall Street’s, however the second wasn’t that good indeed. Despite many folks like it I was not able to watch the Wolf of Wall Street, I like basically any DiCaprio movie (except Titanic) but that was an ongoing whining about how big problems folks with big money have… Moneyball can be watched, but not so interesting in my opinion.

What I would add to the list are:

The Wizard of Lies - the Bernie Madoff story with Robert De Niro - it is very good IMO

Money Monster - tackling a very interesting problem with TV advisors and insider trading

21 - similarly to Catch me if you can it is the story of a money swindle through gambling

I will investigate the topic further and will update the thread when something interesting coming up.

Did you watch anything interesting lately?

I didn’t see them mentioned, but I’ll throw in there 99 Homes as well as The Money Pit.

Not a movie, but there is an episode of Friends, where there is tension because 3 of the friends make more money than the other 3 friends. They are at a restaurant and half the table has drinks, aps, and entrees. The other half has water, a side salad, a cup of soup, or a mini pizza. The snooty waiter was hilarious shaming their orders. Ross tries to split the check evenly at the end and states he doesn’t think money is a big deal.
The episode had lots of interesting discussion about money and social groups. That group probably wouldn’t have been friends long.

My favourite money movie is “Money Monster”. It stars George Cloony and Julia Roberts, but really Jack O’Connell should be the star. (And I’m not just saying that because I love him.)

The tagline is “Financial TV host Lee Gates and his producer Patty are put in an extreme situation when an irate investor takes them and their crew as hostage.” I love it because it reminds me a lot of the PF blogging community, in general. You have the very wealthy people giving money advice to people that have no money, and are struggling. The person with money has nothing to loose and can be so disconnected from what their audience actually needs, they often give “advice” that’s more detrimental than it is helpful.

It’s on Netflix, so check it out!