What Are Your Favorite Financial Movies?

Someone has decided to neglect my favorite financial movies in this giveaway so I decided that we mind as well crowdsource/discuss what the best truly are. As great as Glengarry Glen Ross is, I only liked the scene of Alec Baldwin. (Fun fact- that scene was written just to pad the running time!)

My favorite financial movies are, in no particular order:

1. Trading Places
  2. Wolf of Wall Street (the behind the scenes drama of the funding of the movie is very appropriate for the subject matter of excess)
  3. American Psycho
  4. The Big Short

Interesting topic! I haven’t watched Trading Places yet, but it’s on my list and I saw it was on Netflix now, so going to watch it soon.

I like the others on your list, and would add Margin Call, which I quite liked both as a movie, and the way they cover the finance aspect.

I didn’t see Margin Call. Did they actually explain what was going on but still have the ability to not put people to sleep?

I think I struggled with some of the technicalities (it’s been a while since I watched it), and I have a degree in finance. But the overall impression shared by me an a couple of friends I watched it with was that they did a good job of making it interesting even if you couldn’t follow every detail!

• Secret of my success
  • Wall Street (the first one, the second one was terrible)
  • Margin Call
  • Boiler Room (that scene where they are all quoting from wall street)
  • The Big Short
  • Rogue Trader

It’s a Wonderful Life probably could be considered one too, I’m pretty sure George Bailey was a banker.

Brewsters Million …FTW!

Personal favorite has to be The Big Short. The situation surrounding it was terrible for millions of Americans. But, goes to show that Warren Buffets quote, “Most people get interested in stocks when everyone else is. The time to get interested is when no one else is. You can’t buy what is popular and do well.” is dead on. The real estate market was at an all time low in 07/08, but with everyone selling off, there was a lot of money to be made over the next 10 years.

A similar situation happened the night of the elections. While millions were selling off in the overnight markets. Carl Ican was buying close to 1 Billion worth of stock. Actually saying he regretted not buying more.

Fear creates opportunity.

I liked the Bernie Madoff mini series that came out last year on ABC too.

Margin Call
The Big Short
Like @SteveC, I also really liked the series on Madoff

Haven’t seen that, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Madoff documentary Chasing Madoff.

“I AM”, a documentary by Tom Shadyac

You can find some decent free documentaries here also:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/category/economics/

They not “movies”, but they are interesting to watch.

I’ll have to check that out!

Another OK one I saw on Movies on Demand was Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps with Shia LaBeouf. Not great but, entertaining.

Trading Place sis one of my favorites.I wrote a post about this recently and the Big Short came up as many peoples favorite. I need to see it.

“Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful”

― Warren Buffett

The Big Short is my favourite so far! I never saw Wolf of Wall Street as I didn’t like the idea of glorifying what Belfort did, however I keep hearing it’s worth seeing, so maybe I’ll give it a go :smiley:

The original Wall Street movie with Michael Douglas. I can’t get the quote “greed is good” out of my head. LOL!

Catch me if you Can is good if you want to see some Financial Fraud in action

The Big Short and Wolf of Wall Street are both worth seeing. Never seen Trading Places - will have to check it out

Trading Places, Brewsters Millions (just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago-awesome!), and the Wall Street movie with Michael Douglas are definitely my top three.

There was also an HBO reenactment of the financial crisis that I liked, although I don’t know that it’s a "real’ movie. It was called “Too Big to Fail”