Under-Earner Seeks Advice!

Way to go!

That is awesome to hear!

That’s great news - congratulations!

That’s great news! Congrats!!!

Amazing!

Thanks, all!

I just changed jobs and totally revealed my salary. They gave me more, but not the total amount I wished for. Now I am kicking myself wondering if I could have negotiated a higher wage by not revealing how little I was making before!

7 months later and I have quite a few updates to share!

As a recap, in November '16 I asked the Rockstar Finance forum if it was possible for me to jump from $40K/year to $50K/year.

I heard your advice, and here’s what happened:

• December '16: Got a 10% raise, effective January '17

• January '17: Earning $44,000 annual salary

• March '17: Got a new job, earning $50,000 annual salary

• April '17: New job loses major client. Announces possible layoffs, eek!

• June '17: Accepted a position at new company at $56,000 annual salary

So, in 7 months, I went from earning $40,000 to $56,000 - holy camoly!
(But, of course, I’m still in debt so the extra income gains are all going towards paying it off.)

I’m in utter disbelief that I pulled it off, so - once again - thank you all for your help!

Tagging everyone who left me great advice (sorry if I missed anyone!):

@OurFinancialPath, @_TJ, @ChiefMomOfficer, @Mrs.Groovy, @sethdrebitko, @JoshDoody, @Ms.Montana, @Amanda, and @Frugalcop

Wow-congratulations! That’s a great salary bump. Hanging around a bunch of personal finance fans “pays off” both figuratively and literally!

This is amazing! A 40% salary increase is super impressive, but it’s even more impressive that you did it so quickly. Congrats!

Holy smokes - great job!! Pass that juju this way, please :grinning:

Hiring manager here. The answer, always, is my salary requirement is XYZ. Your current salary is not relevant. Go to glassdoor.com to find the mid point in your area for your job and use that as your salary requirement. They will meet it.

Haha, you got it!

Yeah, that’s the trick! It’s only a ploy to see if they can get you at a lower salary. I love @GRuga’s advice:[quote=“GRuga, post:32, topic:743, full:true”]
Hiring manager here. The answer, always, is my salary requirement is XYZ. Your current salary is not relevant. Go to glassdoor.com to find the mid point in your area for your job and use that as your salary requirement. They will meet it.
[/quote]

Awesome story! Very inspiring!

@JoshDoody I just read your articles, and they were really helpful! I’m looking for a new job at the moment and they were just what I needed to read. Thanks mate!

That’s really impressive, congratulations!

This is motivation for me to find another job. I just got a promotion and tried to negotiate the salary. I was denied. It’s time to make a move.

WOW! What a cool story! This is pretty amazing.

@KatashaLovesTacos Nice work on taking advice and implementing!
@JoshDoody great articles!

I learned the hard way about salary negotiations, but lucky enough to learn early in my career. I had to leave a job that I was promoted quickly in, because I was moving, but I never asked for a raise because I was ignorant. When I left they tried to give me more money - they offered DOUBLE(30k-60k) my salary. If I would’ve known they would have done this, I wouldn’t have moved as quickly (but everything was in place already).
I learned that if the employer knows you are valuable, you have every right to ask for a raise. You need to prove your worth and become PRICELESS in their eyes. They don’t want to lose or try to find a person as good as you…use this to talk with them about what they believe you are worth.
I’ve since been promoted five other times in other industries.

I wrote about a lot of this in these articles. . .

Hope it’s helpful!!
Cory

Excellent job, Katasha!

I will put in a word for non profits here - in the non-profit sector, I’ve increased my salary within the same company by 100% and 33% at two separate non-profits. They were still serving their mission adequately but on a personal level I was also very proactive at being productive in the most valuable ways, and asking for commensurate raises. It can be done!