Threading comments?

I was just wondering if there was a way to thread comment replies so they didn’t show up at the bottom of each thread as well as the replies section? Seems to be making it a little harder to follow along on all the replies?

Yeah, that’s the only weird thing we’ve found with this software - it seems to be built that way on purpose and we haven’t figured out how to change it :disappointed:

I think they want people to do a lot of quote capturing and @ replying with longer - fuller - responses, so maybe that’s why they set it up like this? It’s supposed to be built around discussions and community, so who knows why they felt it wasn’t a core part…

We’ll keep poking around, and if it becomes a feature down the line or we find a fix, we’ll be sure to activate it as it’s taking us a while to get used to too :slight_smile: On the other hand, the forums are buzzing here so maybe it’s kinda working? Haha… JUST SO WEIRD - we agree!

Thanks! It’s not a big problem, more of a nuisance, that’s all. Thanks for looking into it!

The way comment threading was designed in Discourse was actually purposeful and baked into it. A concern they had was that with things like Reddit sometimes the threads can go far afield from the OP’s intentions. It’s not a bug it’s a feature :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

On thing that you want to consider is that the ability to see the threaded version of a comment is in the posts.

In the below image you can see the 1 Reply button on @J.Money’s comment. Clicking that link shows the comments that were generated specifically on that reply.

Additionally, in @SteveGoodwin’s reply you can see a little link that lets you see the thread that led directly to his particular reply.

Yup, this is what I was about to point out. There is a way to more easily see threading, but it’s not automatic.

I have been doing that, but felt that since it also adds them to the bottom, they can seem random sometimes and confusing about where the conversation is going? Should we then be quoting people more and more? Guess I’m replying to both @Steve and to @sethdrebitko.

I do find that I more frequently quote when using Discourse as opposed to Reddit.

That was my concern additionally

Personally, I’m a fan of quoting - but that’s also just my style. Based on the context of each thread, we can probably figure out who we are replying to and talking about, but I find that quoting just makes things easier to follow in general.