The #GivingCards Project – Mission #3: Make a Loved One Smile

As the largest project under the Rockstar Community Fund umbrella, every month The #GivingCards Project helps our community create unexpected joy in the lives of the people around them. If you’re not yet familiar with us, check out what we did in our first month and what we’ve done together so far. :heart:

So here’s what we’ll be doing together this month…

For February’s mission, we want you to bring a smile to the face of someone you love and know. Think about how you can create some unexpected joy in his or her life just to brighten up their world a little bit! Feel free to get creative and have fun! Let’s see some happy faces shared here on the results page :slight_smile:

We have twenty-five $20 VISA cards to give out for this mission. We will give them out to anyone in our community who wants them, as long as they do the following two things:

1. Use this #GivingCard by February 28th to give an unexpected gift to someone in your world.
This can be a friend, family member, co-worker, or even a stranger on the street. Our goal is to show that even a small amount of money can make a huge impact, and the more creative you can get, the better.

2. Come back to this page once you’ve completed the mission and share what you did!
Tell us the story of who you chose, why you chose that person, what you did for them, and what the result was. Pictures or videos of any part of your gift-giving are even better. Inspire us with your fun and heartwarming stories! (And if your idea ends up helping more than one person, that’s fine too!)

That’s it – it’s pretty simple. If you like this mission, then we will personally send you one of these #GivingCards in the mail to use for this project. Keep in mind that you must be a member of this forum to receive one, in order to share your results.

Are you in? If so, fill out this form and then obsessively check your mailbox every day and get ready to do some GOOD :slight_smile:

A few quick notes:

– If you can tie your gift to the theme for the month, we’d love that! (But feel free to run with any ideas that end up exciting you.) As long as you create unexpected joy in a meaningful way for someone, we’ll consider the mission completed :slight_smile:

– If you want to participate but don’t want or need to use our money to do it, then by all means take $20 of your own money and get it done! Just be sure to come back here and share what you did so we can all see it. We want to make The #GivingCards Project something that everyone loves to do!

– Keep in mind that this also doesn’t have to be a traditional gift, purchased at a store and wrapped in paper. You can use this $20 absolutely any way you want – be creative! Maybe you see a homeless man on the same corner every day on your way home – use this to pick up and deliver him a warm meal… Explain the mission to your children and work with them on little $5 or $10 gifts – see what they come up with… The possibilities are endless. Just use your imagination, be creative, and spend a little extra time looking for ways to do something truly unexpected and touching for someone in your world.

– If you have any social media channels or blogs, please share this project! Just link to this page you’re on right now, or to The #GivingCards Project website.

If you want to help support this project so even more people can participate in next month’s mission, you can do that here.

We can’t wait to see what you come up with!

** **There are no more #GivingCards left! ** **

P.S. These cards are only good in the United States for right now, but if you live outside the US, we can PayPal you the equivalent so you can still participate! (And of course you can always use your own money to go do some good and then come back here to share with us anyway :wink: )

In addition to the states below, our #GivingCards have made it to Canada, India, Australia, and The Netherlands so far - let’s keep it going!

UPDATE

Thanks for another great month, guys! You can see all the stories shared below, and also make sure to check out the highlight pages on the website (these are easier links to share from your website or social platforms, etc):

#GivingCards Mission #3 Highlights:
Total Given: http://giving.rockstarfinance.com/total/#february2017
How to Support: http://giving.rockstarfinance.com/get-involved/

P.S. In case you haven’t seen it yet, here’s March’s #GivingCards mission: http://forums.rockstarfinance.com/t/givingcards-mission-4-someone-you-work-with/2098

The #GivingCards Project – Mission #2: Give a Financial Boost to Someone Struggling
The #GivingCards Project – Mission #2: Give a Financial Boost to Someone Struggling

Hello all,

Coming to you from London, England, I think Nate and J said I’m the first Brit to take part in this! Thanks so much to both for organising this all, what a wonderful thing to do!

I received my Giving Card via Paypal yesterday and have been having a good think about who I wanted to share this with. I topped up a little to round up to £20 so it made it easier.

I decided to divide my balance and give roughly £10 to a good friend of mine who is in the midst of finishing her PhD dissertation. I know she’s under an incredible amount of pressure to finish it and also has a big move approaching in the next few weeks so I sent her some M&S chocolates (British department store that does delicious food!) with a note sending her good vibes for finishing her dissertation. We currently live in different cities so I don’t get to see her that often and just thought this might bring her a bit of extra cheer as she finishes up!

The other £10 went to Edlumino Education Aid. I work for University College London and next week they are running a number of events to raise awareness about the refugee education and raise money for two charities. Both seem extremely worthwhile, one is for refugees in Lewisham (http://www.afril.org.uk/en/), an area of London, which has a large proprotion of refugee and asylum residents and is a deprived borough of the city. The other charity is Edlumino Education Aid which I decided to give to and focuses on education for children in refugee camps. More information and if you were able to give anything can be done here: https://www.givey.com/edlumino

Sending good wishes to all around the world this February and looking forward to hearing others stories. Hopefully I’ll have some photos to share soon also!

-Rachael Walker

Super sweet of you. Also I’m a chocolate junkie and am eating a Hershey bar right now. How does this British chocolate compare to the American? I will definitely try it on my next (first) trip over there (but only if it’s good)…

This is truly going global now, over to the UK I see :smiley: Awesome stuff!

This month I used my own money to make a loved one smile. My fiancee loves the movie Easy A, and almost every week she re-watches the scene where Emma Stone gets the card from her grandma that plays the song “Pocket full of sunshine” every time she opens it.

I decided I’d use my money to get that card. After some intense looking around, I found a person in England who made the card and had the music play as well! It cost about AUD$24 including postage. Not too bad.

When I gave my fiancee the card, she LOVED it. It now stands proudly in our kitchen, and she refuses to open it anymore as she doesn’t want the song to run out of power and stop :stuck_out_tongue:

THANK YOU!
I try to upload a video, but i’m not savvy enough to put it in the right format. However, I will likely put a video out on Facebook or Twitter or both with #Givingcards.

My getting card is going to a friend of a friend who recently lost everything in a devastating fire. I know it supposed to go to someone I love and no, but I couldn’t pass up this opportunity to help her get back on her feet.

What you’re doing to help the community is awesome! I look forward to doing more with you!

Becca

Man, that is awesome! Isn’t it great making our loved ones smile?

Rachael,

I am sure you friend greatly appreciated the chocolate and the simple fact that her friend was thinking about her. Sometimes it’s those little thoughtful ideas that can truly motivate someone in stressful time.

Pretty cool you decided to split it in half and help out an organization of your choice, too!

Looking forward to the photos!

Man this is crazy good - a PERFECT use for the mission this month! Can you take a pic of the card and post it here so we can see??? (just edit your original post to include it, I think)

I went on a mission to use my Giving Card in Arizona (even though I live in Oregon) because I wanted to spread the giving love to a state that isn’t red on the map yet and tell the Arizonans about the project.

Because I was giving it away in a state where I didn’t know anyone, I couldn’t follow the exact mission for the month. The hotel I was staying at in Phoenix was right next to the Mayo clinic and absolutely nothing else. I decided that this was a sign, and that since I didn’t have a loved one in Phoenix, I’d try to give the card to someone visiting AZ because their loved one was in the hospital. And it also happened to be valentines day.

You wouldn’t think giving away money in a hospital would be hard–but I was wrong. The crazy thing is that everyone there thinks someone else probably needs it more than they do. Talk about perspective.

I tried a few thing… first, to buy coffees for the 5 nurses or family members at the hospital coffee shop. The barista was interested to learn about the project and wanted to help, but no one came for coffee while I was there and then the shop closed. I tried the gift shop- no dice. I stalked people in the hospital cafeteria to see if there was someone who I could buy lunch for. I finally spotted a woman probably in her 70’s working as a hospital volunteer and told her about the project and asked if I could buy her lunch for her as gratitude for her volunteering “Oh, No. Please buy it for someone more needy or older than me.” I decided that I needed to turn to a stealth approach.

I had almost given up hope on my hospital mission when I walked outside and noticed the sign for parking -$5.00. Although most of the parking was free, the hospital valet parking – the parking that appeared to be mostly used by families who were dropping off patients had a $5.00 charge. In my opinion, paying for parking is the worst. NOBODY likes paying for parking- just like NOBODY likes having family at the hospital. I talked to the valets and told them about giving cards and asked if I could pay for the next 4 families to park. Luckily they took credit cards, and they were onboard with the mission (they were also very concerned that I’d paid for my own parking and wanted to make sure I’d also park for free- seriously, they are the nicest humans in the world at the Mayo clinic).

Mission Accomplished!

A little backstory. My loved one is one of the best people I know. She’s insanely generous and kind to everyone she knows, and often gives more than she probably should. (That’s a completely non-judgemental “should”.)

Life has been incredibly unfair to her. Period. The end. It’s been one of most unfortunate lessons I’ve learned through watching her life—bad things really do happen to good people. Sometimes even to the best people.

Anyways, she hasn’t had anyone to send her flowers on Valentine’s Day in quite some time. My original plan was to send some on the 14th, but she was already over-the-moon happy that day as she had a family member visiting from out of town. So I waited until after the family member left–because I knew she’d need a pick-me-up.

Also, flowers and delivery are way cheaper after. It was a bonus, but I wouldn’t have let her have a sad Valentine’s Day over price. I’m not quite that cheap. :stuck_out_tongue:

This month’s giving card allowed me to cut my out-of-pocket costs nearly in half. In fact, it even allowed me to get her ROSES. It brought her so much joy and did exactly what it was meant to do–cheer her up and let her know she was loved when she was feeling a little lonely after company had left.

I love how this project uses monetary means to spread something deeper than just plain financial relief. Not that helping others with their finances is shallow in any way shape or form, but I do feel that love is a more powerful currency. The project has helped me express love more actively in my own life—thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for that.

I love this! I bet the free parking really brightened four families’ days! So many expenses when you have to travel for healthcare–I’m sure every penny was appreciated.

I think this is awesome—you can totally love on friends! As someone who has been through a fire, I can tell you, that extra money probably meant the world to her. We were so incredibly fortunate to have renters’ insurance that eventually replaced all of our stuff and reimbursed us for our interim expenses, but up front, we had to pay for things like food–and it was all eating out as we didn’t have an oven. I can’t even imagine losing everything without that assurance of the insurance.

Does your friend have kids? I have some barely-used clothes I could pass along–either for little ones, or for her depending on if sizes match up.

I didn’t have a card this month, but an opportunity came up that I couldn’t pass by.

An old college roommate that I hadn’t seen in a year or so posted on facebook about the need for some money for some educational programs/opportunities. Asking for money is out of the ordinary for her, but I know her family has had some hard times financially. Since I was always blessed with parents that were able to pick up the slack financially so I never missed opportunities in my education, I knew I should help. I was able to give her $200. I knew she would turn me down in person for that much so I sent it online and immediately received this text from her:

We’re getting together in person in the next week now, so an unexpected reunion is a great return! It’s crazy how just the simple text in return made me want to give more! This stuff is addicting!

Thanks Nate. Sorry for slow reply. It’s been a busy week! About to share a few pics.

British chocolate is amazing but of course I would say that! When are you planning to visit?

-Rachael

Thank you! Sorry for the slow reply.

A few snaps! My friend sent me a lovely photo of the pretty chocolates. She was house hunting this week for her big move so said these came in handy. And a snap of the donations I gave!

Done and done!

Through casual conversation, I have learned that my coworker and his wife (they are in their 60’s) have been caring for two young children, a boy, and girl, ages 3 1/2 and 4 1/2.

They do not care full-time for the children, but they do so to help out a young, 27-year-old, family friend. She works a barely minimum wage job and if not for my coworker and his wife, it would be almost impossible for her to work overtime (that is much needed) to provide the best life to her children she can.

He and I were chatting this week and I always ask him about the kids and how they are doing and what projects they are up to. This (somehow) led to how he and his wife were watching them a few more days than usual this week. I asked if there was a special reason and he simply stated, “their mother could not pay her electric bill and it was turned off in her apartment. She wanted to make sure that her kids were in a safe place and an apartment without electricity is not safe for them. She gets paid later this week and is immediately paying the bill.” Apparently, it was a rough month ( I did not ask for details) and money was a little short.

I am not sure about you, but it sucks being broke. I am not a parent, but I could not imagine knowing I have to give my children, willingly, to someone else until I can afford to pay my electric bill.

I excused myself quietly and politely from our conversation and called my father (who matches my $20 each month) and explained to him the change of plans and gave him the quick run-down of this new plan. He obviously agreed and I immediately went to the ATM and pulled out our $40.

I returned to work and asked my coworker if he or his family friend would mind any assistance. He stated that “no, I believe she would appreciate any help because it only helps her children.” I gave him the $40 and told him to have his family friend do with it what she wishes, but I hope this helps with the bills this month.

He said he would make sure and give it to her and asked if it was okay if he told her who it was from. I told him that it was up to him, but to make sure if she does ask, to tell her it is from the RCF.

Update She was given the $40, unbeknownst to me, on her birthday! She wanted to thank everyone in the RCF for all you do.

A friend of mine has been struggling to stay out of jail due to drug use. I visit him once a week, and my family has come to be friends with both him and his mom. She’s been naturally concerned for her son, and today was her birthday. My friend asked if I could take her flowers for the occasion while she was on her shift at a nearby gas station. He told me her favorite flowers are lilies and roses, and I couldn’t believe when I found exactly that combination in a bouquet at the store this morning! I dropped by to wish her a happy birthday on behalf of her son. Thanks so much to this community for letting us participate in this way. I think this will make her week. I did try to capture a video, but it didn’t turn out very well, so here is a picture of her flowers.