Spreadsheet: Retirement planning, Roth vs Traditional IRA

Hey all,

I wrote a published a post today about a new retirement planning calculator I built. It breaks down the dollars and cents benefit of a Roth IRA versus a traditional IRA for tax benefits and income in retirement. The calc also shows estimated income in retirement, long term tax benefits, share of retirement savings that will be subject to gains or income tax, etc.

You can see the post here

But since it’s linked to email before download I thought I would share the direct download link with Rockstar.
http://www.mamafishsaves.com/download/847/

Let me know what you think! And if you want to share, would really appreciate you sharing the post not the direct download.

This is a well written article and spreadsheet. I appreciate that you list out your assumptions and sources. For someone trying to decide between one or the other, this will be a great tool (I assume they’ll take any free money they may get from employer 401(k) matching before making the comparison).

Thanks!! The spreadsheet works as a waterfall. It funds 401(k) and employer match first, then if you indicated you wanted to save more than that it funds an IRA, then finally puts money in a taxable account.

MamaFishSaves - awesome article! Thanks for sharing. Love the spreadsheet - i am spreadsheet lover as well. :slight_smile:

Thanks Ana! Spreadsheets are the BEST. I could play with numbers in excel for hours.