It’s my first thread here, thanks in advance for the patience to read this and any advice you can give us.
In January we’ll leave our home country and move to the US (New York, more exactly). We are 3, husband, I and a 5 year old girl). For few weeks we’ll stay at our good friends, but we’ll also need to figure out a rental and start our lives there.
What are we looking at, on a monthly basis?
- rent in Queens / Brooklyn - I see it’s about 1300-1800 … we’ll prolly settle for the smallest at first.
- food - I cook at home, so not much eating out. We already know few good ethnic stores, but I don’t know how much food / groceries will cost.
- insurance - have no idea how much it will cost … .we’re solving all our health stuff at home, since it’s way cheaper, but we’ll need to have a family doctor and insurance
- retirement - we’ll probably get an IRA, don’t know …
- girl’s school - we are planning for a state school, don’t know how much it will cost on a monthly basis. She’ll probably get in kindergarten right now …
We don’t plan on getting a car, though husband dreams about one. I have no idea if we’ll get a job or make my web design business work, but we’ll need to figure out a way to make money soon, since our savings won’t last too long.
From your experiences … how much do you think we’ll need to spend to cover for these? Any advice?