Over 45 Club & other

Outline
1-Is there any interest in those that are over 45 years old on here and if so, how many of us are there?
2-Why? Our needs are different than those 20-30 years old
3-Topics should include looking at work vs retirement. Have any FIRE sites helped or are they inline with what you are currently doing/what stage of life you are at etc.

There is also the layout. I find it somewhat convoluted in trying to find postings. If the landing page was a “topic” only area then clicking on the topic taking you to the latest posts under the outline, it would help clean it up a bit. (ie foreign visitors would have clicked on “Outside USA” topic header which could have items more related to UK or Australia etc living or, as mentioned, those of us “Over 45 Club” then those folks who are under that age would know that this is pertaining to a later stage in life)

Thats my 2 bits. Thx

Not a bad idea. I am interested. Our needs are definitely different than 20-30 years olds. Interestingly, our kids are almost 20 years old. :slight_smile:

I’m interested. I’m 53, retiring in 18 months.

I’m 41, so a few years under the cutoff, but FI and close enough to RE that I think I have more in common with your cohort than the youngins just getting started.

Additional blogs of people similar to me in age and timeframe that you may find useful:

http://www.financialibre.com/

Only 42 here, but close enough I suspect. Yes, I feel that in some ways we have different needs than the 20-30 crowd. I feel this when I think about my own personal situation and not getting interested in my finances until I hit 40. Catching up later in the game is certainly a bit different.

Cool! Yea at 47 with only the last few years of really paying attention to finances, I find good info within the latest gen blogs/sites but, as stated, its not really a matter of catching up but one of doing the best I can with the time frame I have.
Keep the comments coming and thx for the linkz…

I’m near the cutoff, so I’ll chime in. I think it’s less about the age of the individual and more about personal circumstances. I relate to those who are close to FIRE, pursuing a purpose-driven / meaningful life, and minimalism. I also have a not-so-secret desire to drop everything and travel around the world, skydiving, riding a motorcycle across the country, living in a tiny-house, and driving around in an airstream — if my wife would let me… :slight_smile: The blogs I read reflect my eclectic interests, and that’s why I think this is a great forum. I am not sure what I’d post on a 45+ year category that I wouldn’t want the opinions of 20-30 year olds, but that’s just me.

I too am not quite there, but I usually think of myself as 45 (can’t be bothered remembering my age anymore, so I just take it in 5 year increments - when people ask, I’ll be 45 for quite a while, then suddenly I’ll be 50!). We only started this year, so certainly don’t have the most valuable time/compounding on our side.

Its good that you find connection in that.
I don’t mind at all and welcome the opinions of the younger crowd but at the same time, us “older” folk do have differing needs and are at a different place in life than them.

Thats what I hear most often from our age group. The young ones have so much more info at their fingertips than we did at the same age.
So for us older ones, here’s the question:
How have you been able to catch up, are you catching up or holding your own?
How have the FI/RE sites helped you past the basic spend less, save more, invest, routine?

three things:

1. we go back and forth internally with which is the better homepage - the ‘categories’ one or the current streaming of topics one. we may change it later, but for now you can set your homepage to the “categories” one which shows what you’re wanting it to: http://forums.rockstarfinance.com/categories

2. we’re tracking age in our new blogger Directory coming out - so it’ll be interesting/helpful to see all the different groups of bloggers :slight_smile:

3. let me note the “club” idea and see what we can do if it’s something y’all end up wanting to do. we’re new at running forums but want to make this place as helpful as possible for people.

I relate to those who are close to FIRE, pursuing a purpose-driven / meaningful life, and minimalism. I also have a not-so-secret desire to drop everything and travel around the world, skydiving, a motorcycle across the country, living in a tiny-house, and driving around in an airstream — if my wife would let me… :slight_smile: The blogs I read reflect my eclectic interests, and that’s why I think this is a great forum. I am not sure what I’d post on a 45+ year category that I wouldn’t want the opinions of 20-30 year olds, but that’s just me.

If you take the skydiving out and replace motorcycle with a convertible this would probably become my post. :slight_smile:

We are 49 and will be FIRING within the next couple of years. Although I am very interesting in interacting with the younger members, I still think that it would be beneficial to have an “older” category of some sort. We do have very different issues to a degree and I agree with the assessment that we didn’t have the world at our fingertips when we were in our 20’s so we have a little different perception. It’s much more difficult to find forums for our group on the internet which is how I found this community through @RetirementManifesto.

May be we can use this category only for information, questions, concerns and needs of older population. That didn’t sound right. 45 and older, not old. :slight_smile:

We’re in our 30s but since we don’t have kids, a lot of our plans and questions are similar to those of the over 45 set. In fact, I think that the FIRE path is pretty similar for most people who find it, regardless of age. It will take approximately a decade whether you start at 25 or 55 if you’re gung-ho about it.

I’m 47 (I should have done a @Mrs.ETT and stopped at 45! :wink:)

I’m aiming for FI or early retirement when I’m 56 - like @whiskey, only really started saving and investing properly 2 years ago.

Don’t have any kids so don’t have the associated costs to consider.

My friends and family reckon I live like a student - they don’t realise it’s just me being frugal!

YAY!!! Glad my article had an impact. I write for folks primarily in the “Red Zone” (+/- 5 years of retirement), so I suspect a lot of it will be applicable to you. Great to have you in “The House”!

I’m 46 and I’m definitely interested. I’m AT LEAST 10 years out from retirement. :frowning:

Take a look at http://www.furyforums.com/forum/ as they have a clean layout. Yea its for us bikers but its clean and easy to follow with the exception of when clicking on a post it takes you to the very first posting which could be years ago. Hate that.
Im all for the “club” idea… except ya cant have a mohawk. Old folks dont take to no funky stuff LOL…

I’m 67 and retired. I think a 45 and up club is a great idea. That’s a critical time frame for people planning for retirement when they’re not in a FI position at an earlier age.