Let's hear your FU money stories

Alright, I wanna hear your FU money stories. How many of you have used your FU money at work (or in any other endeavor in life) as a means to reject uncomfortable situations or jobs that don’t bring you happiness?

I’ve used FU money to refuse 100% travel. I just can’t be gone 100% of the time these days, and my employer tried several times to get me to commit to 100% travel. No bueno.

You?

I use my FU money every day at Starbucks for my :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: - does that count? Financial experts always be trying to take it away from me!

Ha! It does count. $10 bucks says I cannot even pronounce what you order…unless you order “black coffee”. :wink:

I used FU money to pass up a promotion. The promotion involved being on call 24/7 365 except while on PTO. No thanks! I was happy with my current position. At the time we were debt free including the mortgage and coming out way ahead every month. If I was in extreme debt and behind, then I would have accepted the promotion but not happy about being on call.

Not sure if I have the entire gist of what FU money is? Is it just blow money aka personal money that you set aside to spend on whatever?

If so, my wife and I each get $60 a month to blow. I usually blow mine on tech as I save up to pay for it. Today, I actually bought my girls some crayons and a giant coloring book to keep them busy. I bought a new watch band for my Apple Watch that I bought with FU money LOL!!! The list could go on and on!

I will say that having our personal money where we can’t scrutinize the other person’s purchases has been a big win for us in the fights department! We can’t get mad at each other when we spend our money on that kind of stuff.

No, FU money is money in the bank that you can rely on to, say, refuse to work on a project at work or do a particular job that you aren’t comfortable with doing…or just leaving a place that you don’t want to work for - without fear of going broke or losing your house. Basically, you have enough money saved up to provide a buffer in case something like this happens. :slight_smile:

Nice! And I completely agree with that design - I sure as heck couldn’t pull off that kind of schedule!

I guess you could say my FU money was our emergency fund when my wife got a huge raise in June and I was able to quit and stay at home with the kiddos starting in August, although we haven’t had to use it yet since my wife makes enough for us to keep up our lifestyle while I take care of the kids and write. It does give us options though.

I’d say that counts! Being able to quit and live entirely off of a single salary means you guys have HUGE flexibility because you know how to save. Well done. :slight_smile:

I get my best writing ideas at Starbucks. Something about people watching…

My FU money was more of risk money …
As soon as I grasped what MMM and Jmoney and others were preaching and teaching us I decided to move across the country, sell off everything and take a risk.

I basically told my employer I wanted to move across the country and would become a remote office, laid out a plan and they accepted.

It has now been three years since then and as I continue to save and continue to resist large purchases my savings grow each day. With this large savings and only mortgage debt I have been able to say I was not willing to do any extra work or take on anymore projects. I have had to endure a bit of a pay cut as I pushed back on extra work but this allowed me to focus on my blog, my writing and my photography building a nice side hustle.

FU money to me means that having significant savings allows me to live my values and not put up with bad behaviour because I feel/fear I don’t have a choice.

Based on the above here are my FU money examples:

• Told a Director at a company I used to work for that what he was asking me to do was unethical and refused. That. Felt. GOOOOOD.

• Told HR I would not take the job they were asking (telling) me to take to fix their problem. Twice. The look on their faces was priceless. They were not used to getting that answer. I even got a “Who do you think you are?” Note to self: always be managing your career or others will do it for you.

• Left a six-figure salary when I was faced with a breach of trust and respect that I couldn’t live with. I never said a word about why I left but the rumours I’ve heard have served as priceless entertainment. :joy:

• Turned down two offers to go back to work in Corporate Canada, despite the fact that these would have been promotions. (They’re not promotions in my book if, as a leader, you’re expected to be “on call” 24/7. There’s not enough money in the world for me to accept that type of deal.)

• I’ve fired clients who think they can negotiate down the price, or bully me by piling on additional demands, under the false assumption that I need the money. These are not people I want to work with. If they don’t see the value, I just move on and pity the next poor sap they’ll harass into submission.

• We’ve walked away from a real estate ($500,000) and a vehicle negotiation ($22,000) when we felt pressured to accept a deal that was beyond our comfort zone. Real estate agents and car dealerships are not used to this behaviour, apparently. Especially when the gap is small. When we say “this is as high as we’ll go” we actually mean it!

Long story short: FU money helps alleviate loss aversion by making it feel like another, better deal is just around the corner. It’s the best antidote to loss aversion.

Dayuuuum!

Holy damn, you definitely know how to exercise your FU money. And I highlighted this particular point because I love your bolded last sentence. So true, but never heard it described quite as succinctly.

Absolutely. What I didn’t mention is that on one of those occasions, the then President congratulated me for not accepting a placement stating “Good choice. I didn’t think it was a good fit.” Go figure.

Interesting! Basically, that probably meant “Wow, you called our bluff. Well played.”

So good F2P !
Thanks for sharing a badass story, definition and basically your guiding mission statement I would summarize