Blogging Help

I recently reach out to J$ directly for some help / advice. He did give me some great tips, but also suggested I start the conversation here. Which I think is a great idea. I’m sure other could benefit as well. So here goes.

I have been blogging for over three years now and have seen slow and steady grow on my site. Going from under an average of 20 page views per day to know over 200. I certainly see spikes when featured on RockStar Finances or other major sites.

I just feel like my growth has been very slow. Things I’m doing, I’m active on social media, comment on other sites, guest post, been a podcast guest, host a interview series, and have a number of back links to my site from larger sites. I post twice a week and have 401 posts with a good SEO scores.

What am I missing?

My goals with my site:
continue to share our story with debt and money posting twice a week.
Provide usefully information.
I want to do more speaking events. I still find there are so many people that need help.

I want to grow my audience. I do bring in about $100 a month now. Which is great cover the cost of running my site and then some.

What are your thoughts? What things work for you? Are there resources I should be looking at? Bring on a coach?

I can’t give solid advice because I’ve just started blogging, but I’d ask how are you marketing?

I don’t know what channels you’re on, because (like most PF blogs) its mostly just an RSS feed: and that’s not what I use twitter for. While I’m treating CreatingFI’s twitter account that way, I also link to my personal profile where I interact on the platform in an actually social manor.

Good question. What were the great tips that J$ gave you?

This is a great question. I see some sites with 150 comments on one post and I’m like “HOW?” It has to be some combination of engagement and content, right?

I am by no means an expert, but the bulk of my traffic comes from Pinterest right now. The organic search traffic has been increasing (very slowly though).

Before Pinterest, comments on larger sites and Twitter were the top referrals.

Looking forward to what others have to say!

Yeah I have some posts/pages with a thousand+ views, low bounce rates, and no comments. I don’t know how to get more people to interact.

Interesting. Only 200 visits per day with 400+ total posts seems very low based on my experience. Even though you have strong SEO scores (Yoast I presume?), its clear that Google isn’t viewing your website as very relevant based on the content you are writing. Maybe you are only targeting super compettive keywords. I have been doing SEO professionally for 10+ years and might be able to help you. I have a few follow up questions.

1. Do you use Google Search console?
  2. Do you have any indexation errors?
  3. What is the average length of your posts?
  4. How many posts do you have that are 2,000 + words long?
  5. What are your top 3 posts generating the most organic traffic?
  6. Over the last 30 days what has been your organic traffic changes?

If you send me your domain I can do a crawl using my professional tools. Just email me at [email protected] and I can send you the results and what I see. I am also more than happy to take a quick look at your Google Search Console account if you want to add [email protected] as a Read only user. I can see if there are any issues.

Happy to help you out for free - or maybe a simple backlink! SEO can be tough, but clearly Google isn’t rewarding you for all of your posts.

Oh one thing I just noticed about your site that could really hurt your google ranks. Do you have a security certificate setup? When I tried to visit over the secured https connection chrome gives me a safety error.

Still working through J$ tips and will share once I’m done.

I’m trying with Pinterest, just not really helping right now.

Thanks MM. I’ll drop you an e-mail. I am using Yoast. My average post length is about 1000 words.

I go through phases with Pinterest. I know that’s how a lot of bloggers generate traffic, but it is just not my cup of tea. I suppose it’s gonna have to be if I want to boost traffic and readership, though. And I know that means longer images and a custom graphic thing or whatever it’s called, but boy howdy is it hard to work on that AND have a full-time job.

I’m right there with you. I just don’t use it myself so really don’t get it.