Big Hello! Today I became a millionaire at age 42

Reading this is such great motivation!! Congratulations on reaching this milestone!! If I were in your shoes, I would definitely do some travel on your month-long break!

Congratulations!! You just inspired me and got me mad at my debt all over again, all with the same post!

Woohoooo!!! Congratulations, new millionaire! Out of curiosity, what are you going to say when you quit? Are you going to tell them truthfully or a “moving on to new experiences” sort of thing? I’d love to drop the mic and my job and say “Because I have F-you money, y’all!”

Thanks for all the kind words! I have already quit last month and it’s going great. It’s a fantastic feeling to cross over to the phase where all your planning and your money is now doing the heavy lifting. I did not leave and tell everyone it’s because I have F-you money. I had nothing to prove to the company and am actually thankful.
I appreciate the years of employment–the job and the paychecks were another tool/resource to allow me to get to F-U money and for that, I am thankful…so I didn’t do a mic drop, I just thanked everyone and stated I will miss them all and left…lol.

Yey @Diz! An amazing story and thank you for sharing it here. You are a true “ROCKSTAR”!

Amazing and congratulations!

Welcome to the Club Brother :+1:

The fact that your wife gets to do what she loves for $12 an hour should make you very happy. That’s awesome to hear and possibly even better than hitting the $1MM mark.

Well done! Have you stopped smiling yet?

Congratulations!!! I’m hoping to be where you are in another decade or so.

My niece is trying to become a flight attendant! She has traveled the world but does not speak any languages beyond English. There seem to be hundreds and hundreds of applicants at every event she goes to. Any advice on how she can stand out?

Congratulations! I’m still waiting for mine, does it feel like free puppies day?

Hi Patti! If she just wants to be a flight attendant there are several companies that will take her immediately though I am not certain which ones. Look for regional carriers. For the big boys, you don’t need to know a language but it certainly helps to make you stand out. Overall look the part, be friendly, no visible tattoos or piercings, and be kind. In the meantime, have her focus on customer service related jobs and WHATEVER SHE DOES make sure she doesn’t tell the interviewer that she wants the job because she loves to travel or needs the insurance. To us we hear “I want a job that gives me the flexibility to take off work whenever I want while paying for my medical.” Although that may be trues, we’re hiring employees not vagabonds. :wink: Good luck to her and reach out any time!

Amazing. Congratulations! That’s a huge milestone.

Wow!! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience. I like your post with nice topic.

Get to know your Free Daily Career Horoscope.

Happy for your success. I am next to hit the million dollar mark. Watch out

Great to hear your story, congrats! :slight_smile:

Update please. Did you join the circus after retiring or no? :slight_smile:

Can’t believe it has been over 2.5 years since this original post! @GRuga, here is a 2 yr update and I’ll give it to you unpolished and blunt:
Still have not found (and frankly never seeked out or tried looking) a job or career that I’d enjoy. So I give myself an ‘F’ for that goal. I think I enjoy NOT working (or I’m just lazy and stopped searching).
Real estate and stock market continued to be friendly a year and a half into ret-- then last year I made a mistake and went all cash w my stock holdings because…trade war, global growth slowdown, our gdp no longer covering our annual debt payments as a nation, brexit, take your pick. That was probably a $50k mistake thus far and a scarlet letter on my chest for someone who was proud to be a boglehead for 15 yrs…
Despite that mistake, I’ve continued to stay debt free, cover all monthly living expenses, and my net worth did still continue to increase and I’ve surpassed 1.3 mill (and to be transparent, I don’t count the primary paid off house in this calculation now or 2.5 yrs ago in the orig post because you gotta live somewhere). . So, I gained $300k in net worth in the past 2.5 yrs without working and also without $500k of my assets doing anything for over a year sitting in cash… My standard of living has been identical from when I was still working and that’s due to two reasons–we never lived too lavishly even when I was making 6 figures and when I quite my job, I just kept increasing rents in the properties we own to market rent (I used to charge below market when I was working).

My biggest dilemna now is when to begin putting my money back into the market again…Knowing full well I’m not supposed to time it but human nature takes over…

Diz - thanks for responding! That is sweet. Great job in resisting life style inflation - well played!

For what it’s worth - I moved to 30% about the same time as you. Goal is to keep at 20% proportion (e.g if prices drop or cash balances grow I will rebalance) which I am just about at now (in the fall market swoon I couldn’t resist a half price sale on WY) . It hurts a bit to know the cash pile purchasing power is dropping each month via inflation but I got caught up in 1987 (24% in one day), 2001 and, even though I knew better by then, the 2008 drops and vowed not to experience a 50% drop in quoted balances again. Stresses me out. Not doing that a fourth time - so cash balance helps smooth the curve for me and I am fine with not beating the market.

That old saying certainly applies to me: during market crash I become concerned with a return of principal over a return on principal…

PS I found this article helpful for me a broader perspective on cash balances when justifying it a few years ago.