Big Hello! Today I became a millionaire at age 42

Amazing! Congratulations and good luck finding something fun to “work” on!

That is awesome! Congratulations as you move into your second life :slight_smile:

Awesome! Congrats. Doesn’t it feel good?

All the best as you head on to the next phase of your life.

Keep us posted on what you’re up to!

Well - it’s definitely not for everyone! :wink: I totally get that your fam would win in comparison to slinging cokes and peanuts…plus I left out all the bad parts of the job to try to win you over, You know, weather delays, mechanical delays, kids that pike, adults that puke, etc, etc. So even if I don’t see you working the aisles of a 737 I am so happy to see you here! :slight_smile:

Thanks! It feels fantastic. Feels amazing when:
When making an offer on a property and the agent asks if you are preapproved and you advise them you are your own bank and will be paying in cash and then show them proof of funds.
or
When you buy a fun preowned weekend convertible and you realize the spur-of-the-moment purchase does not even represent 1.5% of your assets so even if you gave the convertible away one day to a friend or relative, it barely budges the financial needle one way or the other.
or
When you come home from work and look at your portfolio and you realized your assets made more money than your 8 hours of work that day.

I owe it all to people like everyone here on these forums who shared their stories and who inspired the rest of us to stay the course.
Although 90% of personal finance can be said in a couple of simple sentences, it takes constant reinforcement, support, encouragement, and “look! It is possible because I did it so don’t give up!” personal stories to keep the rest of us on track to the promised land.
Thank you so much and I’m here to tell everyone…it is possible because I also did it.

@Diz and @Steve Any chance either of you live in Phoenix? I’d love to snap up one of those salaries to get closer to my million:)

Close. Tucson! :slight_smile:

That is fantastic! Woo hoo to your success. I only wish I had known what I know now about a decade ago. But we all have to start somewhere. Kudos to you.

Ha! I actually wasn’t expecting that:) Most of the people I have seen on here are east-coasters. Glad to see a fellow Arizonan. Congrats on getting to the quitting point!

Wow that is awesome - congrats on hitting the number. Woot!!

I was scrolling down to see a break down of the Million- this sounds like million net worth, correct? Do you have an index fund too? What percent are you planning to pull out of that and how does your cash flow figure in? I’m working on my rental portfolio too. I hope that I’m less than 5 years behind you :sunglasses:

that’s awesome, @Diz - congratulations on carving out a very nice life for you and your family. I hope that you get to enjoy many, many years of enjoying the fruits of your labors!

Yes, correct–net worth.
I don’t plan on pulling anything out of my index fund or retirement accounts.
Of the million:
48% is index funds held in 401k and ira’s ( this will be preserved and allowed to conitinue to take advantage of compound interest)
45% is investment/rental properties all paid off (1 house 3 condos)-- $30k annual cash flow
7% is liquid cash which equated to being over 1 year emergency fund/walking around money

I also have primary resi paid off w $150k in equity but I don’t count that as you have to live in it.

My wife still works because she loves what she does and that brings in $22k/yr

the rental income and wife’s income covers expenses and it allows everything else to continue to earn compound interest…and I expect more ‘cushion’ once I decide what my ‘encore career’ will be.

One insight…one HUGE insight I’d like to share and I have not seen much coverage on this point in any of the forums or personal finance sights:
I planned and saved and invested and reached my goal and am able to retire decades earlier than the rest of the general population but…literally after a week + of being retired, I realized I missed a MAJOR factor:

if you FIRE fairly young in your 30’s/40’s, but you have a spouse who still wants to work full time and still have young kids in school…YOU ARE STILL ON THEIR SCHEDULE.

You still have to wait for their weekends and their vacation times to go out and do things and go on road trips and vacays.

And as a responsible husband, you volunteer to pick the kids up from school each day and drive em to basketball and soccer practice since you are the spouse that no longer has to work.
#house/soccerhusband lol

Such a #firstworldproblem, right? :slight_smile: For real though, I’ll trade you the soccer schedule for my Q2 performance goal metrics…

I hear you @Diz.

You think you’ve conquered the world, beaten the system, and escaped the selling off of your life a day at a time. Then you get a bollocking from the school principal for pulling the kids out of school a couple of days prior to the end of term in order to beat the price gouging on long haul flights!

When I dialled it back quite a bit after reaching FI it was disturbing just how quickly the rest of the family availed themselves of my “free time”. It was looking suspiciously like I would be a full time cleaner/concierge/tutor/nanny/chauffeur because I apparently “had nothing better to do”.

I’d always planned on being semi-retired rather than stopping completely, but I must confess it did hasten my transition into part time/seasonal work. Now things are back to everyone pitching in and working as a team, though somehow I ended up being the one attending all the Christmas carol performances at the various schools… best described as noisy and enthusiastic performances, rather than tuneful or especially talented!

slow_dad … this needs to be covered to educate others …lol

This is so true. Despite my wife being a stay at home mother, I am often asked to do things around the house when I work from home. If I do pull the trigger, it’ll likely happen after my kids go to college.

This is unreal. You are living my dream! Thank you so much for showing us all it’s possible. How did your quit go?

Well Done!
Such an accomplishment.

Congratulations to you! I hope everything is working out well. Your story is inspiring – thanks for sharing!