Are all side hustles created equally?

I used to think that as long as I’m working “extra” on top of my full time job-I was doing all I could. I realized after awhile (I"m a slow learner) that not all side hustles are equal! Here’s my blog post on this:

http://www.dollardiligence.com/2016/12/19/how-much-is-your-time-worth/

Please let me know what ya’ll think and if you’ve ever had this epiphany.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I had a similar epiphany when I worked for an ad agency. The hours were brutal, and since we were straight salary with no overtime pay, the hourly wage was pretty pathetic. Because I was working so many hours, there wasn’t really time to pursue a side hustle gig. I switched industries and am happier these days.

I think you also make a good point about the expectations placed on teachers. It seems to me that we often ask too much of those in “giving” professions. Just because someone chooses to teach for a living, work for a church, or works in the service sector, it does not mean that person does not deserve a life outside of work! Good for you for saying no to some things. If you don’t, you could easily get burned out, and it’s healthy to have some boundaries.

I think it all comes down to balancing time vs. money. For example, I don’t do Swagbucks or deal sites any more since the time investment was so great for such little return.

Thank you for reading, I appreciate it!

I completely get that! I did Swagbucks for about a year and a half, not religiously, but I did spend some time doing it. I figure I made about $150 in gift cards…not exactly the most productive thing to do with my time. It’s all about how valuable your time is!