Advice for my blog

Hey everyone, for the first time I am getting some feedback on my blog and some people wanting to do advertising and/or sponsored posts. For those of you who have a blog or know other bloggers how much do you charge? My goal has never been to monetize the blog (that would be nice) but I am not averse from charging for advertising and other things, as long as I agreed with it. Thoughts? Advice?

Depends 100% on the value you provide in return (though that’s a crappy broad answer).

To help, what is your traffic like? How loyal is your following? Fairly passive or fairly active?

Another non-monetary factor: since you haven’t been doing this before, how are your existing fans going to react?

Food for thought.

I charge pretty high rates, but that’s only because I want to detract 99% of those who pretty much want something for nothing:

I haven’t gotten a single person to actually pay that rate, and that is exactly what I want. Honestly, I don’t want to get into the advertisement/sponsored post game either, but if an entity out there wants it bad enough, then I’ll entertain it for the right price. I’m willing to wait until that happens without getting involved in these smaller entities who want to take advantage of bloggers who’ll accept almost anything for exposure.

I had someone this week express interest in a banner ad. My rates are $500/month, and this person offered $100 for THREE months.

That’s the kind of stuff that I’m trying to detract. :slight_smile:

…but, you might be different, so don’t take my philosophy as gospel. You may be willing to accept less, and that’s okay. We’re all different.

What I’ve generally seen is rates will fall between $1 - $10 per 1,000 page views. So if you were going to charge somebody $500 per month, then you should be giving them anywhere between 50,000 and 500,000 banner views per month.

As a comparison, if I run a $100 Facebook ad, I can expect between 30,000 and 60,000 views. Extrapolating that out, $500 would buy me 150,000 - 300,000 views.

Yup, I’m with ya. In my case, though, I don’t want to sell banner ad space on the blog, but I will if someone wants to pay the price for it. My prices are intentionally high to dissuade people from even contacting me. I’m definitely not here to “compete” with other blogs for ad sales. If I were, then I’d lower my prices down closer to what you had mentioned.

My blog usually gets over 100,000 page views a month.