This Week’s Challenge: Leave a Money Tip, Take a Money Tip!

Love this thread!

Here are my three tips:

Spend less than you earn (and keep working on both sides of the coin). We usually work hard on one part of it, but you can really boost things by finding ways to earn more while being smarter with your spending.

Go out on (money) dates. If you’re married this can be a wonderful way to not only review the finances but talk about your dreams. If you’re single, get some friends together and have a money night. Accountability and comadarie can make all the difference.

Know your why. Paying off debt is awesome, but defining your why keeps you motivated for when those tough times come up.

Great idea for a challenge. I have 3 tips:

1. The most important step to success in investing is to set an investment plan - You need to define how you should react to various situations up front and stick to the plan through good and bad in order to be successful. Allow for minor tweaks to the plan along the way of course. http://www.fulltimefinance.com/2016/12/setup-investment-plan/
  2. Marginal Utility is Important - Not every unit of savings, spending, quantity or quality is created equal. As such reevaluate at each point on the curve. IE savings beyond a 60% savings rate is probably going to have a lower benefit to you then savings beyond 10%. http://www.fulltimefinance.com/2016/11/marginal-utility/
  3. Don’t reach for Yield- Shoot for investment base hits, not home runs. http://www.fulltimefinance.com/2016/12/reaching-for-yield/

Let’s see, I see some great tips to take already! Here are my favorites:

• Automate savings. When I worked a 9-5, setting up 3 different direct deposit accounts made saving money easy! Aside from a quarterly look at the savings account, this kept the money out of sight and out of mind.

• Pay credit card bills automatically. I set a minimum flat payback amount for my Capital One card so there’s never any late fee, and then manually pay extra to get out of debt quicker. The automatic pay keeps me from getting penalized if I forget to pay, and the manual larger payment makes me feel good as I get closer to zero debt.

• Have at least 2 savings accounts for your business…one called “Not My Money” for tax payments to the IRS, and the other for emergencies.

Saidia Financial Solutions

Here’s my tip:

Don’t just accept the status quo on your location. Especially after you’ve built up a portfolio. The value of your current dollars go so much further if you’re willing to geographically arbitrage your residence! :slight_smile:

http://tjpridonoff.com/lifestyle-deflation/

whao! Love this. I’ve never heard a quote like that. Love it.

So simple, yet almost everything we talk about comes down to this.

So simple, yet so many people struggle with this idea.

Spend less than you earn!!!

1. Automate your investments. It’s SO much easier to invest when you don’t have to actively make the payment.

2. Debitize your rewards earning credit cards to pay off each monthly balance and make money off of the credit card company, instead of them making it off of you. My credit card is now my debit card and earns me cash back.

3. Fund a Christmas account instead of using credit cards. We’re funding ours with our cash back rewards from my credit cards.

Shin @ www.moneyisnottaboo.com

Huge. Simple. Powerful.

Automating anything money-related is a win.

1-Stay out of the mall
2-Don’t go on ebay (maybe this is just me)
3-Spend less on junk food

3 squares of toilet paper, maximum under ANY circumstances!

sit back and watch the savings pile up!

Now you’re spouse may leave, but let’s face it, they were holding you back

The ONLY difference between you and the 1% is that they follow the ‘Rule of 3’ and you don’t

What are you waiting for?

OMG, TOOOO FUNNY!

Any time you “Buy Now With One Click” you have to cut off a finger. After 10 tries, you won’t make that mistake again (one could argue, 8 may be enough…)

1. Be Patient
  2. Buy Well
  3. Reinvest Returns

Living the Dream!
Peter

Read that in the Monty Python voice – “Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out.”

Too bad there wasn’t any advice here about the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!

I also moved my Amazon app off my “front page” of my phone and moved it off my bookmark bar. It keeps me from wandering onto Amazon when bored.

smart!

I actually have Ten Philosophies to a moderately frugal life!

1. Here is the first one The 10% Rule: Simply put, if you receive any bump in pay (bonus, promotion, incentive), then take 10% to have a little lifestyle creep and put the other 90% towards paying down debt or aggressively investing in your future! This will allow your head and your heart to be happy!

2. The key to being happy while obtaining wealth is to be Moderately Frugal. You can obtain both wealth and wellness at the same time! The key is moderation.

3. The One Month Rule. If you are thinking about purchasing anything of financial significance, give yourself a legitimate one month to make the decision. Hash it out with people you respect for financial advice. Shop around. Find the best product for the best price. Don’t make rash or impulsive financial decisions!

4. No post attached, but simple and effective advice! You have to make a plan. You cannot know where you are going and how effective your choices are towards your goals if you have none. Make a financial plan, a manifesto, or sets of financial goals! Otherwise you are driving to an unknown destination that will likely result in disappointment.

Follow along (The Physician Philosopher) for the next 8 philosophies of living a moderately frugal life.

TPP

I’m naturally not much of a spender (minus the occasional weeks where I don’t feel like cooking and Chik-Fil-A beckons me), but I realized the one thing that immediately can help is to look at a fixed cost in your life and determine if that cost is worth it and then if it is possible to reduce it.

For me, that cost was my cell phone bill. My original pain point with it came from the fact that I didn’t have service at work which killed all my side hustle productivity. Then, on my search for better service, I ended up with a discount provider that solved both problems.

I blogged about the experience here: http://zerotothrifty.com/2018/04/08/take-steps-to-reduce-your-cellphone-bill/

:slight_smile:

1. Split your restaurant food with your wife.
  2. Buy in bulk (specifically household stuff)