Online colleges

Graduate of an online degree here. I did some of the credits on campus and completed my associates at a brick and mortar college, so I got to experience both sides of it.

In terms of the quality, I find that is purely based on the instructor. I’ve found good and mediocre experience in both formats. If you’re unorganized and unmotivated, you will quickly fall behind in online classes. There is less structure and hand-holding.

For the employment side, if the college is regionally accredited, most employers generally don’t care. Plus, they don’t know if you went online. I went to a state college and the paper is the same as someone who attended in person. I’ve gone to work for publicly traded companies and mom/pops places. Unless you are trying to work for Google or Goldman Sachs, most people don’t care where you went. Let’s face it, most of us won’t.

The main arguments for going to brick and mortar college, is that you don’t make connections and network doing online classes. From my own personal experience, that’s baloney. You still work with others in project groups and get to know students. You connect on Linkedin. If anything, I would say chances of networking are greater in attending online classes as there are more actual professionals with work experience and it’s much easier to connect online. No awkward interactions.

I believe that students should figure out which learning method best suits them and go with that. For low cost, online colleges can’t be beat. If the end goal is to get a piece of paper, I would go with online every time.

I’ve taught for two online universities and for three universities on campus. One of the online programs was terrible. My kids did harder work in 7th grade - and I’m not kidding. And these were students in MS programs. The other online university was much more credible. They have built-in checks in each course taught to check for quality and upholding curricular standards. The three on campus professor positions I held were all as rigorous as I made them. There was no set curriculum so that was good for me. I was able to create the course I wanted (as long as it was aligned with standards, course description, and met the Dean’s approval for accreditation purposes.)

I have a doctorate and I did all of my coursework (BS, MS, Advanced Certificate, and Doctorate) on campus. It was a PITA to drive to the local university when I worked more than full-time as an administrator to take classes for my doctorate. But I learn best that way - and I was in courses with diverse peers which I lacked in my own school and experiences.

My kids are both in college (one BS, one MS) and they’ve had a class or two online but both prefer face to face instruction for the most part. And I am very glad they lived on campus instead of having them stay home for those years. We saved, they worked, and they earned scholarships. They learned to take care of themselves and grew up so much. But that is just what has worked for our family. I’m sure others have terrific online experiences and save a ton by having kids living at home too. And their kids grow up and are just fine too :slight_smile: