How much does a house really cost?

How Your Home Purchase Can Make or Break You

As a Certified Financial Planner, I’m amazed at the long term impact of your home purchase has on your finances and life. Much bigger than most people realize.

New roof - which was a few K in expenses.

A lot of good tips already listed. I second @faithfuldividends regarding lawn care. Unless you hire it out, you’ll need to obtain a lawn-mower and prepare to sharpen blades, air up tires, and perform regular scheduled maintenance like greasing wheel zerks, replacing spark plugs, changing oil and filter. I go through about $10-$15/month in gas during the growing season to mow my .9 acres or so.

And don’t forget weed-eating. The same applies in terms of sourcing and maintaining equipment. Gas negligible.

You’ll want to pay attention to the condition of the home septic if you’re not on city sewer. Find out the size of the system and last pumped date. Pumping your septic is an expense of several hundred dollars and frequency will vary based on size of your family and frequency of entertaining guests.

Other than that, it sounds like you’re on top of property taxes, home insurance, HOA fees, and repairs. I’m an aspiring DIY’er so I perform most repairs myself, but even so there’s plenty that can go wrong. Home maintenance expenses not bad if you handle them yourself, home improvement is what can add up. Age of appliances including HVAC and water heater, water softener important. Good luck!

Instructables.com is a good resource for learning some diy, too.