Choose Your Own Challenge (This week's money challenge)

One thing that never ceases to amaze me about personal finance is how different everyone’s situation is. You would think that because we are all dealing with the same tools (cash, numbers, math, budgets, etc.) that more people would be in the same place, but you don’t have to look very deep to see massive differences.

Bottom line… Personal finance is personal.

Because of this, we thought it would be fun to do a challenge everyone could make their own:

For this week’s challenge, choose your own adventure, er… I mean… choose your own challenge!

Here are a few ideas to get you going…

• Check something off your to-do list that’s been there for way too long
  • Set a new goal or review your current goals
  • Do some career/side hustle scheming
  • Do something not related to finance at all, but that can have a long-term financial impact (eating healthier, exercising, decluttering!)

Let us know what you decide to choose, and what it will do for your money.

If you’re looking for ideas, check out our growing list of 20 + other money challenges!

I’m challenging myself to find combinations to improve myself.

For example, walking my dog with my husband covers a lot of stuff: my health, my husband’s health, our dog’s health, good quality time, not paying for a gym, and not spending money doing anything else.

I also just started a blog with themed days that are meant to make me write regularly, learn new art things, finish art projects, continuously learn new financial things, and put myself out there. These are all goals I’ve been trying to keep myself accountable to for a while, but was not keeping up with.

I am challenging myself to bring 2 bins of my sons toys/clothes to a donation drop this week. The clutter is getting out of control!

I just started seriously diving into my Spartan Race training and this week my challenge is to do my pushups every day!!

Love the combinations idea.

Now that the weather is a little nicer I take my daughter for a walk in her stroller for nap time. She falls asleep much faster and I get a nice walk in to!

Tell me about it!

Clutter is out of control over here. It’s amazing how fast it adds up when you aren’t staying on top of it.

I sometimes wish someone would break in and steal a bunch of stuff from my house!

My challenge this week has nothing to do with money or finances it has to do with tears…

My 19 year old son is leaving this week for a 4 month job out-of-state. My challenge this week is to show love, support, and encouragement for him to be taking such a huge leap of faith into the unknown and not cry! He doesn’t need his mom blabbering all over the place at the airport. A simple hug and “GO GET 'EM” is what he needs. Not a worried mother. I’m trying to live up to this challenge. It’s a tough one on a personal/emotional level.

Good luck!

My challenge is to cook meals at home the rest of the month! I don’t want a repeat of March: http://thegroundedengineer.com/we-blew-our-budget-in-march/

Oh my, @Mrs_Need2save! I wish you and your son the very best. That is such a tough challenge, but I’m sure you’ll pull it off (at least until he’s out of sight!). I will face the same thing next year when my 17 y.o. heads off to the Air Force. I tear up thinking about it now… Best wishes!!! :slight_smile:

So, I tried starting a meditation habit back in March. It was somewhat successful - I used an app and meditated every day for 3 weeks. And I noticed my blood pressure was lower at the doctor after meditating for a couple of weeks…related or not? I think it must have been. I’ve since fallen off of the meditation wagon, so to speak. Went to the doctor today and my blood pressure is higher than before (it’s not even close to dangerously high, btw, but I felt better overall when I was meditating - physically and mentally). So, I challenge myself to meditating each day for the rest of the month!!

Thanks @DerekOlsen! Great idea! :slight_smile:

We just moved out of our house for a huge remodel. It was embarrassing the amount of trash we were storing in our home. We basically filled up the front porch with trash bags. I feel like we need to move every five years just to detox.

I feel like crying just hearing about this! And I’ve only got a 3 year old and a 3 month old!

Can’t imagine a day when they might leave for 4 months. But I would try my hardest to be supportive and not cry too. (I’ll probably cry.)

oh, thank you. I think the Air Force would be more terrifying, depending on where he ends up but thank you for the understanding and good wishes. I’m sure he will get a lot of great real-life experience for such a long time without his parents close by. :slight_smile:

It’s just a good reminder that family is WAY more important than anything else, including money!! What we want the most in the world is for him to be happy and to get out there and live his life. He is doing that so we have to be supportive of him. It’s still scary for the parents!! You’ll get a taste when your kids go to preschool, or kindergarten. :slight_smile:

I’m going to finally get my meal planning under control to save my sanity and money too :slight_smile:

OMG, meal planning is on the top of my list of things I’ve been saying I’m going to start doing and haven’t.

Every single week I say I’m gonna start and then I just kinda say f-it and never even start.

PLEASE let me know if/when you figure it out.

I know it’s super easy and saves time (and money) but I’m just lazy!!

I found this meal plan that was all rice bowls and they looked super tasty. I’ll have to try to find it again.

Yes me too! @MakingYourMoney when you figure it out, PLEASE write about it! I can’t seem to get meal planning down and I need to get that together! :slight_smile:

Well, if you need to channel that energy, as a vaguely recent grad, no college student I know of ever complained about a care package full of food.

Oh yeah! I’m all about the care packages. I have to get through some logistical challenges first but we plan to send those with a little love from home if possible! Thanks!